Saturday 26 October 2013

Times they are a changing.

I've been away for a week and even after a four hour drive and a bit of a chesty cough, I still wanted to make my way to the allotment. It had nothing to do with the fact that City were playing at home. Well more fool me, the wind must have been blowing the wrong way, because I could hardly hear a thing from the football stadium.

The main reason for the title is that we haven't had a frost yet. I'm certainly no expert, but I'm sure that by this time of the year I've had to scrape ice of off the car windscreen when I've got up for work early in the morning. Is it global warming? Can we follow what our fathers and grandfathers did at any time of year any more? We need the frost to come soon, I want my parsnips. They taste so much better after the first frost.

Aside from the lack of frost and having to wait till I got home to find out the football result, (another good win for City) it was a good day for digging. The sun popping out of the clouds every so often and the soil is still so soft, the weeds and the couch grass roots are coming up nicely. As with my strawberry patch, I'm going through every clump of soil to make sure I don't miss anything. I also re-dug the strawberry patch, grass seeds were starting to show, so they soon came up. Just a short one today, but till next time and thanks for reading.

                            


No comments:

Post a Comment