Monday, 31 August 2015

'Project Greenhouse' completed.

It's done, I have myself a greenhouse. I couldn't have done it without my friends, whether it was taking it down from it's original home, moving it to the allotment, building the footing, putting it all together and being able to borrow a cordless drill to secure it in place. To all the people who have helped me, I thank you. Even with the self inflicted trouble of the brick work, it looks like that's how it should be, it gives it a bit of a quirk. The first time I saw the Shard, I thought it wasn't finished, turns out that's how it should be, so why should mine be any different, aside from the fact that I already pointed out I cocked up.

From the photo you'd never guess that some of the panes aren't glass. One pane was already broken, two broke while dismantling, two more broke in transit and one more because I stepped on it. I haven't got very big feet, I'm just very clumsy. As luck would have it, a few years ago, we were having a clearout at work and I saw nine sheets of clear perspex that was going to be thrown away, with permission I took them and they've been sat in my shed since then. I checked the size and with just a bit of a trim, they made a perfect fit and a lot more easier to flex into place as well.

I've already put it into use, the tomato plants that I've grown from some supermarket tomatoes are already in residents. I do have to remember to keep them watered now though. Small price to pay don't you think. All in all, I'm pleased with the way it all looks, the small path leading to it and the raised bed, it's how I pictured it, but I never expected it to look quite how I wanted. Till next time and thanks for reading.

Thursday, 27 August 2015

Phase two and three of 'Project Greenhouse' complete.

Bloody hell it's been a long time since my last blogpost. I could give some lame excuse like 'I needed time to find myself again'. I was there in the bathroom mirror. No, the truth be told I just got lazy. So, apologies aside, I actually have been quite the opposite of lazy. Weeding, watering and harvesting at least twice a week. I have, as the title indicates, made progress on Project Greenhouse. As you can see in the above photo, there it is leaning against the plum trees. A friend at work, his father-in-law past away, he was a very keen gardener and the family wanted his gardening tools and equipment to go to people who would put them to good use. So I'm hoping that I can do it justice.

My friend did ask for £40 for the greenhouse, but I haven't quite got the hang haggling and gave him £50. I have been on the look out on the web and have seen that £50 was a fairer price, also I would have to see him every day at work and I'm a good catholic boy.

It really didn't take that long to dismantle it, yes a few panes of glass were broken, but that wasn't an issue, if only I had measured the dimensions of the two courses of bricks that the greenhouse sits on. I do have some brick on my plot, but needed more. I managed to get some more by jumping in a skip, with permission. I'm not in the building trade, so this was my first time brick laying. I did Google what to do and how to get the morter mix right. I measured the frame as best as I could in it's dismantled state. All seemed great, I even had a friend, who has a plot on the site and who does know how to lay bricks, who came over for a chat and layed a few brick as quickly as clicking Lego together. A week later, with help from another work mate, we put the frame together, put it on the bricks and it was then that I found out that my measurements were wrong. It was too short by width and length. It's a good job that I still have a few more bricks to do another course, offset slightly on both sides and a whole brick width at the back. Now if you know the difference between 'Jerry built' and 'Safe as houses', please don't look too closely at my handy work in the photos. Until now, there was more chance of me laying an egg than a brick.

This is how it's been left. I'm hoping to get the thing in place this weekend so I can concentrate on gardening rather than being an extra for the next series of 'Auf wiedersehen Pet'. Till next time (let's hope it's not too long away) and thanks for reading.