I went to the plot today in the car for the simple reason that I wanted to move last years bags of leaves to the plot. Eight sacks full, so walking there really wasn't an option. While I had the car loaded, I threw in a few fence posts and other bits that needed to be moved. I parked as close as I could and went to fetch the wheelbarrow. This is what I found when I got it out. I believe they are peacock butterflies. Rather than dump sack on them, I carefully moved them to the inside wall of the shed where I hope they'll be safe.
I realised that in my last post I didn't show the results of after the clear up. The courgettes are now gone due to the fact that the weather is starting to change and I don't think I'm going anymore this year.
|Sorry for the shadow selfie|
The tomatoes I managed to save from the blight are now sitting on my window sill and are now starting to ripen. Considering I they weren't properly planned for, it ain't too bad.
One of the reasons why I've got involved with 'Garden Connect' was to learn about different crops, growing and eating. The kale looks very healthy even though it's never had any netting to protect it from pigeons and I think I'm right in saying that I can harvest leaves as and when I need them without digging up the whole plant, but I want to make a start on clearing the bed.
I have found recipe for a kale soup and today I dug up the ingredients for the soup I didn't already have. It does say only three carrots, these should be about right to make that up in weight. If it all goes well, I will share it on my blog. I don't need swede for the soup, having never grown them before, I just wanted to see what it looked like. Till next time and thanks for reading.