Sunday 12 October 2014

Leek of faith, or Leek and Parsnip soup.


With the state of my rusty leeks this year, I was wondering if I'd be able to eat them at all.  But thanks to a few friends on Twitter including Katie Lane of Lavender and Leeks fame, who as you may have read in a previous post, assured me that they would be OK to eat. Not only that, she has passed on a recipe to me. Again I have tried and tasted it. Having done so and with Katie's permission granted, I would like to share it with you all. This is what you'll need.



  • 250g leeks
  • 250g parsnips
  • 1 onion
  • 900ml vegetable stock
  • 150ml single cream
  • 1tbsp runny honey
  • A few sprigs of thyme
  1. Cut leeks, parsnips and onion into chunks.
  2. Fry them in a little oil for a few minutes.
  3. Add the stock, cover and allow to simmer for 25 minutes.
  4. Blitz with a blender, add the cream and honey then fold them in gently.
  5. Serve with thyme.
Now, I was all prepared to follow the recipe to the letter, but when I mentioned it to my daughter, we somehow came to the conclusion, through a bit of misunderstanding, that crispy bacon should be added as a garnish. Thank goodness for misunderstandings. I did go back for seconds and sprinkled it with thyme. Either way was just as delicious. Till next time and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment