Sunday 19 October 2014

Chilli jam.



A few people have asked me about the chilli jam I make, either at work or via the social media. The recipe I have is originally from Nigela Lawson, or so I'm lead to believe. You see I found it on the web a few years ago and it said that it was her's. So, if you are reading this Nigela, which I doubt very much, thank you for the recipe. Of course if it's not one of yours, Shhh! Nobody needs to know otherwise. I'm putting it on my blog simply because I have recipes on scraps of paper, on emails and I even have some in cook books. Ha, who knew.

So this is what you will need.

  • 150g Chillies (deseeded if you don't want it too hot) cut into 4 pieces each
  • 150g Sweet red peppers cored, deseeded and cut into chuncks
  • 1kg Jam sugar
  • 600ml Cider vinegar
  • 6 x 250ml Sterilized jars
  1. Put the chillies into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
  2. Add the chunks of sweet peppers and pulse again until you have a vibrantly red flecked processor bowl
  3. Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a wide, medium size pan over a low heat without stirring.
  4. Scrape the peppers out of the processor and into the pan. 
  5. Bring to a boil and leave it at a rolling boil for about 10 minutes.
  6. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool. The liquid will go from syrupy to jelly as it cools.
  7. After about 40 minutes, or once the flecks are more or less evenly distributed in the jelly, ladle it into your jars and seal them tightly.
  8. Store in a cool and dark place for up to a year. Once a jar has been opened, it should be stored in the fridge and consumed within a month.
So that's it. This batch does have 100g of red chillies and 50g of birds eye chillies with quite a few seeds left in for heat. As yet I haven't actually grown any of the peppers that have gone into it, one day. Don't forget to wash your hands after handling the chillies and while blitzing it, the vapours will affect your eyes, so wear swimming goggles. Till next time and thanks for reading.

1 comment: