Tuesday 30 September 2014

I'm having a bad bad day.


After eating the fresh sweet corn last week, which incerdently was delicious, I went today pick the rest, only to find that either a fox, a badger or some other form of wildlife had eaten most of what was left, at least ten more decent sized ears of corn. I managed to salvage three small ears. The plot next to mine has a similar thing to my brassica tent and their corn is perfect and untouched. Another lesson learned.


The surprise tomatoes have started to look a bit worse for wear. Again, last week they were looking fine and if you zoom in on the tomatoes, you will see that they have some brown patches as if they were bruised, yet the whole fruit still seems firm. Is this the dreaded blight? I did Google it and it does look like it, but I'm no expert. Even though the healthy fruit is still green, I took what was left and I've left them on a window sill at home in the hope that they will still ripen.


To add to my woes, of five cauliflower plants, two are like this, two are fine and the last one is just taking its sweet time. I must admit that last week I failed to see how they were getting on, so I've only myself to blame. To make sure though, the two good one's are safely in the fridge.


As you can see from my small harvest, it wasn't all bad news. I wanted to bring back as much as possible, rather than leaving them to the elements and the wildlife. All five pumpkins are home. I have taker's for three of them so far, daughter, nephew and niece. As I've mentioned before, I'm hoping to eat at least one of them. So if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know. I like soups and I have been making various marrow soups, with another one in this harvest, I'll be experimenting. Till next time and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment