Saturday 1 February 2014

I've finally made the beds.



This is how much of a novice I am, I've been referring to my six, crop rotating BEDS as SQUARES. I feel such a fool. I do know what beds are in gardening terms, it's just never occurred to me to call them BEDS. When I talk to beginners at the allotment, I often hear 'I've learnt a new skill today' and proceed in telling me about it. With me, I seem to find more ways of being incompitant. If it wasn't for 'Spell Check' then I don't think I would ever have started a blog.

So, to my main point, I have finally made ready all of my crop rotation beds. Yes I do need a few more slabs and there is every chance that a few weeds will have been missed and will grow back. But at this moment, compared to last year, I am way ahead. All the netting and wire arches have been removed from the brassica bed, as too have the weeds and clumps of grass. I even took the foot pump with me to put more air in the wheelbarrow tyre. That made it easier wheeling barrow loads around corners and up steps, only one step, but I did do it a few times. Most of today work was done in the rain. It started off as a few spots and finished as a downpour. But I really am determined to have something to show for by the end of summer. The photo above is taken from the path and planted on the left are my onions and to the right I'll have sweet corn, peas and squashes. The middle two beds are where the brassicas will be and finally, the root vegetables will go in the last two beds. I've always tried to stick to this plan, but one year, the weeds had got the better of me and things got planted where there was space. As you can see, I'm back on track.


Last weekend, the family and I went to both Warwick and Stratford-upon-Avon. Both places we have been to before many times, so no souvenirs were needed, just a nice day out. I did come back with something, a bag of onion sets and some seeds, peas and beans. I know I can get them back home, but when I saw the onions, 100 for only £2.50 and the variety that I want, sturon, the peas and beans where only £1. I've never grow either peas or beans before so that will be interesting. I do feel like I don't switch off from the allotment, but in a good and excited way.

I'm hoping to find out what the planting scheme for Garden Connect will be tomorrow. As soon as I know, it will be up on my blog. I'm just hoping that I can get and grow everything listed. Hopefully till tomorrow and thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment