Saturday 22 March 2014

Main crop and some more veg.


Here in an old baker's tray, I had everything I could carry to the allotment. Main crop potatoes, loads of parsnips and little bit of kale. The intention was to quickly shove these into the ground, then go home and get more to plant. Easier said than done.


Starting with the parsnips, using the length of wood as a guide and an old broken seaside shovel as a dibber. I had read that to avoid octoparsnips you need to make a hole, fill it with potting compost and then your seedlings on top. The soil needed breaking up before I started and I was so glad that I had constantly been working the plot over the winter, because it was practically weed free. I wouldn't have done as much as I did today otherwise. It still took me bloody ages because I had so many. Next year I won't do so many seeds.


Next was my main crop of potatoes. Again the soil needed breaking up a bit and again I it was practically weed free. So that's my potato bed done for this year.


And now for the Garden Connect  part of my blog. The onions, spinach and parsips are starting to show. There is something happening in the lettuce and purple carrot square foot, but due to the randomness of my sowing and the fact that I don't know what the seedlings are supposed to look like, then I don't really want to raise my hopes up just yet. I had started the kale off in the greenhouse and today I planted them into it's square foot. So fingers crossed to see how they get on in there next few weeks.

I must say that even though I've had my plot for five years now, it is starting to look like a proper allotment plot now. I still have a long way to go before it looks like I would like it to look, but all in good time. Till next time and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment