Sunday 17 May 2015

This is how Rhubarb jam is made.


I was quite lucky that after my jam disaster last week, I was able to try it again so soon. I don't know if it's rhubarb in general or the pan I use for jamming, but I did find it sticking to the bottom of the pan very easily. Well I don't feel so much to blame for burning last weeks jam now. The rhubarb I used was allotment grown, just not my allotment. I was given the same amount as I had before, so I stuck to the previous weeks quantities. So this is what you'll need.


  • 1.5kg/3lb rhubarb (ready prepared)
  • 1.5kg/3lb sugar
  • Juice of 3 lemons
  • 25g/1oz root ginger
  1. Wash and trim the rhubarb and cut into small chunks
  2. Place in alternate layers with the sugar in a deep bowl, add the lemon juice and leave for about 8 hours.
  3. Put the contents of the bowl into a pan, with the bruised ginger tied in a muslin bag.
  4. Bring to boiling point and boil rapidly to setting point.
Now I'm no fan of ginger in any form, so it was left out, but for those of you who do like it, I'm giving you the recipe word for word. I prepared everything late in the evening and left it over night. First thing in the morning, I made sure I had everything ready, jars sterilized and labels done from last week, before I put the pan on. I also used a potato masher to break down the fruit towards the end of boiling. Once it was all done and jarred up, I made myself some toast and a cup of tea. You can't beat fresh jam on toast. Till next time and thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment