Saturday 24 May 2014

A bad and good day.

I have to start with an apology. It is all regarding my paper pots. I've just planted out my sweet corn sown in paper pots. It didn't quite work as well as it had for me in the past, and for this reason I have deleted the 'Paper pots' blog post. I have either missed something out in making them or I got lucky in the past. I do hope that if anyone has tried my method, they have better luck than I have. I am truly sorry.


So, bad day and good day. The bad day started of with the paper pot disaster. Not only did the paper pots not come out as they had done in the past, basically they didn't want to come out and when they finally did, it practically fell to bits, but also walking round to the allotment with a tray of seedlings, the little bit of wind we have had today bent the stems. But I carried on regardless. I don't hold out much hope for sweet corn this year what with the roots having been disturbed, I will just have to wait and see.


Now for a bit of good news, the courgette that was eaten by slugs two weeks ago has sprung back to life. Not only that, but another courgette seeds has popped up in the greenhouse and thinking that the first one was long gone, I took it with me to plant out. I also have some globe courgette coming up. I think I need to find some room for it all.


Now this may not really look like much but if you look closer, I have for the first time a proper row of carrots. You can also see a few slug trails, but these are the trails of dying slugs all thanks to the slug pellets. I think I counted about twenty dead slugs.



A mixture of good and bad regarding the lemon cucumber, the good is after I removed the slug eaten seedlings a few weeks ago, I resown some more which when I checked them earlier in the week where coming along fine. However, when I checked them this morning, yes you've guessed it, another slug had found its way in and started to eat the new seedlings. I caught him in the act and he didn't get to finish.

Things should be growing faster now that it is getting warmer and I'm looking forward to bringing some veg home soon. But until then, till next time and thanks for reading.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your sweet corn. Fingers crossed you will get some despite the issues. I'm really looking forward to start bringing home veg again and cooking with such fresh ingredients, hopefully not long to go!

    ReplyDelete