Friday 17 April 2015

Pumpkin soup.


I've had my last pumpkin sat under the kitchen counter since October. I have googled recipes, but clearly never got round to checking if I had all the ingredients or buying the ingredients I needed. That is until a few days ago. To be honest, I got fed up of moving it to get to the onions, then moving back to get at the crips. The recipe I found came from the BBC food website, its a plane and very simple recipe. This is what you'll need


  • 1kg pumpkin (peeled, deseeded & chopped into chunks)
  • 2 onions
  • Olive oil
  • 700ml vegetable stock
  • 140ml double cream
  1. Gently cook the onions in the oil until soft.
  2. Add the pumpkin and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened and golden.
  3. Pour in the vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Pour in the double cream and bring to the boil.
  5. Blitz with a hand blender and serve.
If you've read one of my recipe blogposts before, you'll know that I treat the recipe as a guideline. Having bought the smallest tub of double cream, it was still nearly twice as much as I needed and I'm not keen on having cream on anything else, so it all went in. I did also put more pepper than I normally would and because I had enough for a few servings, last night I added some smoked ham and it was delicious. So if you still have a pumpkin getting in the way, give this a go. Till next time and thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. I puréed mine last year after harvesting and froze the surplus to use when needed. still have a bag of leftover soup from Christmas day and some plain purée too. they are quite fun to grow too, even though I had a few issues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I puréed mine last year after harvesting and froze the surplus to use when needed. still have a bag of leftover soup from Christmas day and some plain purée too. they are quite fun to grow too, even though I had a few issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be able to freeze my surplus, but the freezers too small. It did taste better on the last day of eating it.

      Delete
  3. Easy recipe but I am sure that the taste was superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was very nice. I'll be a bit more adventurous next time.

      Delete